Friday, February 18, 2011

#58 - Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices From a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz


2008 Medal Winner
This book was a complete surprise to me. Honestly, I didn't want to read it - it combines two things I really don't care for in reading material - poetry and the medieval period. But, guess what? I really liked it! It was written by a school librarian for her students to perform - it is actually made up of 22 monologues. The monologues are in first person, spoken as different members of a medeival village. The book also contains many footnotes with interesting facts, such as "dog" referred ONLY to male dogs. Female dogs were called brach. This book also had beautiful illustrations! This book just proved to me that I need to branch out more, and not to "judge a book by its cover!"

No comments:

Post a Comment