Saturday, March 19, 2011

#63 - Hatchet by Gary Paulsen


1988 Honor Book
"Thirteen-year-old Brian Robeson is on his way to visit his father when the single engine plane in which he is flying crashes. Suddenly, Brian finds himself alone in the Canadian wilderness with nothing but his clothing, a tattered windbreaker, and the hatchet his mother has given him as a present - and the dreadful secret that has been tearing him apart ever since his parents' divorce. But now Brian has no time for anger, self-pity or despair - it will take all his know-how and determination, and more courage than he knew he possessed, to survive."
My almost 10-year-old daughter read this book last year and she loved it. The whole survival theme is not usually her cup of tea as far as reading materials (nor is it mine), so I thought, if she liked it, it must be good! I pushed it to the front of my reading queue because on March 30th, the author of this book - Gary Paulsen - is coming to one of our local libraries for a book signing!! I am taking the kids (Emily was so excited when I told her, she ran to her room and pulled the 3 books of his that we own off the shelf and put them by the front door, so we can remember to bring them for him to sign!). I am even more excited to meet him after reading this book! I could really care less about meeting movie stars and music stars - authors are MY kind of celebrity!!
Ahem, got off on a tangent there...Hatchet WAS a very good book. I started it last night, and basically couldn't put it down. Full of nail biting adventure. Paulsen says that everything that happened in this book has happened to him at one time or another - just not all at once. There are 2 more books in this series (and we have them), so I will be reading those eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment