Tuesday, April 26, 2011

#68 - On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer



1987 Honor Book


"'On your honor?' Joel's father said. 'You won't go anywhere except the park?' 'On my honor,' Joel repeated."


"During a bicycle trip to the state park, Joel dares his best friend Tony to a swimming race in the dangerous Vermillion River. The boys have been warned never to go near the river, but Tony can't let Joel think he's scared. Both boys jump in.


When Joel reaches the sandbar he turns and looks for Tony and finds that he has vanished. Joel is stunned. How can he face their parents and the terrible truth?"


Oh gosh. What a depressing book. Especially after the recent deaths of a couple of my daughter's young classmates. It was well-written and engaging....just very sad. Don't think I'll be passing it on to my girls to read for awhile...


Oh, and a heads up...use of the "d" word, and the father expresses doubt of the existence of Heaven...I didn't like that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment