Tuesday, May 3, 2011

#70 - Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose


2010 Newbery Honor

"That moment came on March 2, 1955, when on her way from school 15-year old Claudette Colvin was arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white woman on a segregated city bus in Montgomery, Alabama. But instead of being celebrated as Rosa Parks was when she took a similar stand nine months later, Claudette was shut out by her classmates and dismissed by community leaders. Still, her brave, spontaneous act laid the groundwork for the Montgomery bus boycott; and a year later she helped end that boycott by testifying as a key plaintiff in the landmark bus case Browder v. Gayle.

Based on extensive interviews with Claudette Colvin and many others, and many others, Phillip Hoose's National Book Award - winning work is the first in-depth account of a major, but little-known, civin rights figure, a girl who dared to make an early and profound cry for justice."

First - YAY, I reached another milestone number - lol!
Second - This is one thing I love about this project that I've taken on - I am introduced to books I probably would never have discovered or thought about otherwise. I don't read a lot of non-fiction.
Third - This book was a wonderful portrayal of the horrible injustices that our nation's black people experienced. I, personally, am very ashamed of that time in history - that white people could treat people that way simply for the color of their skin. It makes me sick. It was truly eye opening, and a very interesting account.

No comments:

Post a Comment