Tuesday, August 17, 2010

For fans of Anne of Green Gables


This is not a Newbery book, but it was definitely worth commenting on. I came across this book at my local library, and was intrigued. I have been a huge fan of the Anne series since about 3rd grade, when I read the entire series. I was a tad obsessed with the movies too, watching them over and over and over again (and I confess that Gilbert was my first ever crush.) But I was also a bit hesitant - I mean, this book is not written by Lucy Maud Montgomery, so how good could it be? I just finished reading this tonight, and I thouroughly enjoyed it. You can tell the writing style is different, and there were some things that I don't think Montgomery would've put in her books...but for diehard Anne fans, it's a great prequel.

From the inside cover:

"When readers first met Anne, she is eleven, and has just been sent from an orphanage to meet her new family. Readers never learned the events of Anne's life before she arrived at Green Gables. Until now.

After baby Anne's parents die in an epidemic, she is sent from one foster family to another, always searching for the love and comfort of a real home. A clever child, she learns to talk early, and even in her darkest times she finds joy in the power of her imagination and, eventually, by escaping into the world of books. Through her adventures at school and in foster homes and orphanages, Anne's vibrant personality - her imagination, her hot temper, her impetuousness, her dramatic flair - shines through.

For the millions of readers who devoured the Green Gables series, Before Green Gables is an irresistable treat: the story of how on of literature's most beloved heroines became the girl who captivated the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment