Friday, August 6, 2010

Starting this project with 27 titles under my belt

Like I mentioned in my first post, I have already read several titles on this list. Most of them I read as a child, but some were a little more recent. My plan is to blog as I read - my thoughts on each book. As of today, there are 28 on this list that I know for certain I have read. There may actually be more that I don't remember - I may not remember until I see the book again - it HAS been a long time...anyway, I will start off with a list of what I've already read, and some brief information. I'll only go into detail on the more recently read titles, because, well, they're fresh in my mind.

1. On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 1938 Honor book
2. Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater - 1939 Honor book
One of my childhood favorites!!!
3. By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 1940 Honor book
4. The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 1941 Honor book
5. Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 1942 Honor book
6. The Middle Moffat by Eleanor Estes - 1943 Honor book
7. These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 1944 Honor book
8. The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes - 1945 Honor book
Another chidhood favorite - it inspired me to draw 100 dresses of my own, just like in the
book.
9. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White - 1953 Honor book. Who hasn't read this?
10. The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden - 1961 Honor book
11. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigbsburg - 1968 Medal
winner
Yet another favorite - read it several times!
12. Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by E.L. Konigsburg - 1968
Honor book
13. Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars - 1971 Medal winner
14. Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel - 1973 Honor book
15. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - 1978 Medal winner
An all-time favorite. Just a truly awesome book, and somewhat recently made into a movie.
16. Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary - 1978 Honor book
Hands down, the Ramona books were my ALL TIME favorites!!
17. Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson - 1981 Medal winner
LOVED this one!
18. Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary - 1982 Honor book
The book that started my love for Ramona!
19. Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary - 1984 Medal winner
20. Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan - 1986 Medal winner
My 9 year old recently read this too, she loved it!
21. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi - 1991 Honor book

And the titles I have read recently....

22. The Giver by Lois Lowry - 1994 Medal winner
My friend, Tristen, recommended this along with the companion books (Gathering Blue and
Messenger) and words cannot express how good these books were! I would not have chosen
these titles myself, but I am SO glad I read them. The series has a common theme of self
sacrifice. And I don't know if it was intended, but the final book seemed to be an allegory
to how Jesus sacrificed His life for us, so that we may have a better life.
23. The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman - 1996 Medal winner
A really interesting book about the practice of midwifery in mideival times. Also a story
about how a young, orphaned girl discovers herself and the person she was meant to be.
24. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo - 2001 Honor book
I read this book with Natalie a few years ago. Very cute story and movie.
25. Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff - 2003 Honor book
Natalie had checked this book out last summer, and it looked interesting, so I read it too.
26. Rules by Cynthia Lord - 2007 Honor book
About a girl with an autistic little brother. She develops a list of "rules" to help him fit in
better socially. She also learns what is more important - inward or outward appearances.
27. Savvy by Ingrid Law - 2009 Honor book
An extraordinary family with extraordinary "gifts" called savvies, received at the age of 13.
One brother can control the weather, one has an "electric" touch. Their little sister learns her
savvy and how to handle it on her birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment