Thursday, December 16, 2010

#43 - Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer


2001 Honor Book
"One new life....coming right up! When Hope and her aunt move from New York City to small-town Wisconsin to run the local diner, Hope's not sure what to expect. Luckily, she's used to thinking on her feet - she hasn't become a terrific waitress by accident. And when G.T., the diner's owner, decides to run for office against the corrupt mayor, Hope's drawn into G.T.'s vision of the future. Because, after all, everyone could use a little hope to get through the tough times...even Hope herself."
I loved this book!! It was just very heartwarming. I loved how it showed that teens are capable of so many things, like in the case of this story, completely changing a small town by exposing a mayor's corruptness and getting a man elected for mayor who can do many great things for the town. Also, this book had a lot of spirituality in it, which is a lways a plus to me.
I think I am going to try to start including favorite excerpts from this book. The following excerpt is a quote from the town preacher as he tries to convince the election board administrator to give G.T. a little more time to gain the signatures he needs to get on the ballot for the election. The administrator at first told them no. But Pastor Hall says to her "Even if we imperfect beings mess up again and again and do things that we'll regret for years to come. The Lord is there, understanding our weakness, reaching out his kind, forgiving hand and saying, 'Let me help you change your ways. Let me give you my love for people. Let me fill you with my...' he leaned forward, 'mercy'....And isn't it a fine thing to know that right now God Almighty is looking down at us wanting to lead us in the way that is best? Doesn't that make you want to shout hallelujah?"
After that, how could she say no?! lol
Great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment