Monday, December 13, 2010

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon


This is not a Newbery book, and it is definitely not a kids book. Just have to add that disclaimer, because it has a lot of bad language in it.
"Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.
This improbable story of Christopher's quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighborhood dog makes for one of the most captivating, unusual, and widely heralded novels in recent years."
When I first added this title to my "want to read" list, I was under the impression that this was a novel written by an autistic man, so I was intrigued. I really love reading books that deal with psychological issues, whether fiction or non, and when I googled "fiction and autism", this title popped up over and over again. But, I was misled by the websites...or else I wasn't paying close enought attention, lol. I became suspicious about 40 pages into the book (I could just tell that it was written by someone "trying" to write from an austic person's viewpoint, but not truly autistic). I did further research (had I paid attention to the cover of the book or read the author's bio, I would've known...) and realized it was a complete work of fiction. Anywho...it was definitely interesting - very unusual writing style, and I would imagine it would give one some insight into how an autistic mind thinks.
While researching, I found that a movie version of this book is in the works. That should be very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment