Monday, January 31, 2011

Crank by Ellen Hopkins


This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a Newbery book, nor is it a children's book. It is considered a "young adult" book, but I will not be letting my 13 year old young adult read this. Very mature themes, and disturbing material.
"Kristina is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. Then she meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild ride turns into a struggle for her mind, her soul - her life."
This is the first in a series. I decided to read them for a few reasons: #1 - the interesting writing style; it is written in poetry form. I'm not a big poetry fan, so I wasn't sure how if I would be able to get through it, but it read very smoothly. #2 - I know this is a very popular young adult series right now, and well, I like to keep on top of what young people are reading, and #3 - I am interested in most stories of a psychological nature. I won't lie - this was not a light, fluffy read. It was dark, disturbing, sad, etc. And, no happy ending here. But, all that said - I am glad to have read it. Unfortunately, drug addiction is becoming more and more common in teens, and at a younger and younger age. My hope is that novels like this will show youth how extremely dangerous drugs are and help to deter them.

No comments:

Post a Comment